Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gateway NV79 Laptop

Recently I purchased a Gateway NV79 with an I5-M430 Quad Core 2.27 Ghz CPU, 4 Gig of RAM, 500 Gb Hard drive, 17" monitor with a web cam, along with Intel GMA graphics.

It had the Windows 7 installed which I immediately removed, and installed Fedora 12 ( my favorite Linux distribution).

This is the first Gateway that I have had since 2000 when I worked for a national mental health provider management company. I found that the laptops and desktops were solid machines and that technical support good.

What I found with the Fedora 12 installation: First, I had to graphical install to  with addition of xdriver = vesa nomodeset. This allowed the graphical install to come up, from there the installation went with out a hitch.

Second; after the installation was complete I was not able to take full advantage of the Intel Graphics. The updated kernel being used with Fedora 12 is 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64. From what I can gather the new graphics for Intel is in the newer 2.6.33.xxx kernel which will be in the up coming Fedora 13 release.

Over all though I find that this laptop is much more that I had expected. It functions very well and exceeds my expectations.

No comments: