Thursday, September 8, 2011

Enlightenment Desktop

E (Enlightenment) to those who are Linux enthusiast and especially Red Hat will remember E as the default window manager. It also was GNOME aware. GNOME became Red Hat's default window manager in later versions of Red Hat (E was pre Red Hat v8 I believe). But that's a different story. I am looking at Enlightenment and how it works on F15.

E's stable version is 16 (which is call E16), and E17 is in beta. Both are in the GNOME repositories.

I was going to use E17 but I found that there was an issue that cause it to crash. It recovered nicely thought, but would not get past the crash point. It was at this time that I also installed E16. This is what I am writing this blog from. There isn't any configuration to E16 unless you wish to change from the default set-up.

I am finding that E is extremely responsive finding that in the early stages of use I am finding that I like it better that GNOME (what I mean by GNOME is GNOME3.x and 2.xx).

No comments: